BOOT FIT GUIDE
Please read these important tips before returning a pair of boots! These instructions are designed to guide you in checking for the perfect fit in your new boots - which is quite different than checking for fit in a pair of shoes or sandals. Note - check for fit while standing in your boots. Try on both boots - your feet may be two different sizes. It's also important to test your boots out while wearing a pair of boot socks. Try on your boots in the afternoon, as your feet tend to be their largest at this time. Lastly, take that first walk in your new boots on a carpeted floor.
Once you are standing, wearing both boots, look for these three signs of a good fit:
- Your entire foot should feel snug in the boot EXCEPT for your heel. Don't worry! Your heel should always slip in a properly fitted new boot. As you begin wearing your boot, you will find the heel leather will soften, and your boot will then conform to and move with your foot. The slippage will disappear!
- The ball of your foot should sit at the widest part of the sole of the boot. Unlike feeling for the fit in your toes (as you would in trying on a shoe), the proper location of the ball of your foot in the boot will ensure a good fit throughout. Consequently, if the ball of your foot sits too far forward in the boot, your toes will uncomfortably crowd in the toe box of the boot.
- The instep (vamp) of the boot should fit snugly over the top of the arch of your foot (more snugly than the fit in your normal shoe or sneaker.)
Finding Your Perfect Boot Size:
- Begin with your normal shoe size. It's a good idea to have your feet measured every year or so, as the size of your feet may change over time.
- Note that socks (even tights or nylons!) can add a 1/2 size to your feet.
- If you are an "in-between" size, we recommend ordering the larger of the two sizes you are between.
- If your feet are a narrow width (and no narrow sizes are available to purchase), you may need to order a 1/2 size smaller than your normal size.
- If your feet are a wide width (and no wide sizes are available to purchase), try ordering a 1/2 size larger than your normal size.
- Your feet may be two different sizes. We recommend ordering the size that fits the larger foot.
Standard width for a woman's boot is "B" width (which may be labeled "M" for "Medium" width). Narrow width is labeled "A". Wide width is labeled "C".
Standard width for a man's boot is "D" width. Narrow width is labeled "B". Wide width is labeled "EE" or "EW".
Note, not every boot will be available in every width.
We recommend wearing boot socks with your boots. Boots socks are designed to reduce slippage and shock and provide a comfortable stay-put, over-the-calf fit to complement the tall shafts of your boots. Unlike your regular cotton socks, boot socks absorb moisture to keep your feet dry and warm, all day long.